I get to represent Venezuela in a Model U. N. simulation with my Government and Global Governance class this Saturday. Before delving into the research my understanding of the country was very limited, so I thought I would share some of the information I have learned about this South American country.
- It has the largest known oil reserves in the world, and oil accounts for 95% of the country’s export earnings.
- The country wrote and voted on its 5th constitution in 1999, it is the world’s longest constitution.
- The country currently has the world’s highest inflation rating at 700% this year.
- The country is second only to Honduras in murders per capita.
- It’s abandoned financial building “Tower of David”became a squatters house and housed thousands people before they were relocated in 2015.
- President Nicolas Maduro claims that there has been at least 17 coup attempts to overthrow his government since 2013. He believes most of these are backed by the American government.