I’ve been out of school for a week now and it already feels so far away. In the one week of freedom I already feel like I’ve done so much, but at the same time I feel like I haven’t done nearly enough.

I wrote my last final, packed up my room and said good-bye to the girls still in my dorm. I was in such a rush trying to get out of the dorm and didn’t take any pictures of the emptiness I was forced to leave behind, I’m really going to miss the dorm life that was so great to me this year.

So Thursday was spent unpacking, but didn’t last long as I was full on exhausted. Slept in quite late and then the work began.

Worked 8 hours Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I don’t mind working, I like the people I work with and have worked my way up enough to not be completely bored anymore.

Tuesday was Grouse Grind day though and super fun.

Woke up with an awfully sore throat and a runny nose, but couldn’t back out on my friend and powered on anyways.

The hike was just as hard as everyone always said it was going to be, despite the fact that I did it last year, and my congested lungs did not aid in that.

We powered through all of this, not caring that many a grindr may have passed us, and the little signs from lululemon dotting the path helped us along. We actually made pretty good time, for us anyway, with just under 1:30 being our finished timeScreenshot 2016-05-04 14.29.56.IMG_2363.JPG

Once we reached the top we realized we were woefully ill dressed. Our shorts and tank tops were no match for the blustery conditions at the peak of the mountain. So we headed into the lodge and tried to warm up with a cup of apple cider.

After this we braved the outdoors and decided to wander around to see the lumberjack show and the bears. Turns out the lumberjack show wasn’t in action yet, probably due to all of the snow filling the arena, but the bears were out and fun to watch.

Thanks to a super friendly gentlemen and an empty movie theatre at the lodge I learned quite a lot about these bears and would love to share.

The bears are named Coola (after Bella Koola) and Grinder, they were found orphaned in different parts of BC and were through a long term of events brought to Grouse in order for people to study bears, to see how electric fencing worked with bears, and also so they would not have to be put down.  bear cam


Screenshot 2016-05-04 14.28.28*Picture not my own*

These bears have been super interesting particularly because they allowed scientists to observe the bears during their hibernations, which had not previously been understood. The night cameras demonstrated that every night the bears would get up and go for a short walk around their den. Which is why the bear’s bones don’t deteriorate during their long hibernations. During these hibernations the bears do not eat, drink, or use the washroom, so it is supposed that their walk is more of a “sleep walk.”

So after seeing and learning about the bears we took a whole wack of photos at the view spot, feeling no shame in our selfie stick usage, until we were entirely too cold and decided it was time to go.IMG_1326IMG_8807.jpeg

One of the best things about doing the grind is a) the fact that you don’t have to hike back down, and b) the gondola ride down.

The gondola ride

Then we were home and I went back to bed with the cold that was ravaging my body the entire time, straight to bed I went, exhausted but satisfied with that I’d done.